Friday, May 16, 2008

I've put this stuff in cause it has been some "stuff I do". I happened to see one of the Star Portraits episodes this week with Rolf. (Link: http://www.starportraits.co.uk/; not that the webpage is interesting - its not - its just indicative if you are unaware of that which I write). It was one I hadn't seen the first time round (Bill Oddie). Its not the famous people factor that interests me in this televisual feast; it is firstly that you get to watch Rolf, and secondly you get to watch HOW different people work with paint. Or pencil. Or charcoal, or paper, or computer or whatever it is they work with. And HOW painting the very same thing can be depicted in ways entirely differently, yet be completely recognisable.

I've just read probably the most exacting phrase I've ever heard in relation to Rolf - "he does not carry the cultural cachet of other Australian exports"(Farah Farouque, The Age), which probably accounts for the look of fright and the cautious backing away of people whenever I pontificate on the man's genius. Most people grow out of their childhood idol, and I did too, as a childrens' entertainer, but while doing that, Rolf went and surprised me by existing very successfully as something else as well - an impressive artist. And all the while he was simply being like my dad - a man who wanted to entertain and didn't care what adults thought of his garrulousness; he knew kids loved it.

No comments: